Everyone participating in the We the Makers community, We the Makers events, and incorresponding in the Telegram groups—is required to agree to the following code of conduct. This includes all speakers, attendees, guests of attendees and speakers, vendors, volunteers—basically everyone involved :). Please do your part to help ensure a safe, diverse and welcoming environment.
We are here to motivate and help each other, connect, respect each others work and holding each other accountable . Therefore We the Makers is committed to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion (or lack thereof). We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form.Sexist, racist, discriminatory, or harassing language and imagery is not cool in the We the Makers community in person or online. If you violate these rules you will be asked to leave the We the Makers club, removed from all online communities, will not be given a refund and will not receive invitations to future events at the discretion of We the Makers organizers.
We the Makers interprets all of the following as harassment—offensive verbal comments about sexual orientation, gender, age, disability, body size, race, religion (or lack thereof), physical appearance, sexual images in public places, stalking, following, intimidation, bullying, unwanted harassing photography or video recording, ongoing disruption of talks and event, inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention. If you’re asked by anyone to stop any harassing behavior you are required to comply and stop immediately. We the Makers will take any action they feel appropriate, from warning the offender to expelling the offender with no refund.
1. Do the right thing. If you see something say something — many times if you’re feeling uncomfortable, someone else is too.
Look out for one another. We the Makers centers around action sports and the outdoors, make sure to watch over each other and ensure folks are safe and have each other’s backs.
2. Be proactive. Be the first to introduce yourself, the first to help clean up, the first to offer a hand with moving luggage and chairs. We the Makers does not have an army of volunteers to help out, but together we can all help make things run smoothly.
Do something nice for others, with no strings attached.
3. No pitching and No poaching. Talking about the design and the challenges of our industry are fair game—poaching and pitching are not what We the Makers is about.
4. Be friendly and approachable. Everyone is equal at We the Makers. We are all students and we are all teachers—be open to those around you, make it easy for people to get to know you.
5. Be optimistic. Bring your wit and your humor into the group, but leave the cynicism and negativity at home. We are here to learn and have fun and develop and grow as a community 🙂
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns please contact Dann Petty immediately. If you can’t or don’t want to speak in person then send a note to Filip at email@example.com or by direct message in Telegram – Paul is acting as a liason only, Dann will still handle the actual issues.
All reports are handled in the strictest confidence.
This code of conduct is based heavily on the XOXO Fest Code of Conduct and adapted for We the Makers by Filip Triner. Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.