Fulltime | London
Fulltime | London, UK
This is an important role in the company and you will have a major impact on the creative direction of our brand and products. We sell hundreds of thousands of new books every year across the world and we want someone who is ready to put their stamp on these global projects. You’ll report to our Creative Director and be a member of our Design Leadership team alongside other specialists in marketing design and digital design.
This role is technical and managerial. It requires a keen eye for graphic design detail alongside a great ability to collaborate and manage feedback.
You’ll be the primary conduit between our Story Producers and the illustrators working on their books. You’ll be a key collaborator with our Creative Director, contributing ideas and feedback on book formats and structures.
You’ll also be responsible for key design elements such as covers and overall range design. And finally, you’ll be responsible for managing and mentoring our pool of illustrators and art workers and designers.
At Wonderbly we work hard to create a culture where creative people are inspired and enabled to do their very best work. You can take a look at the portfolio of design work that has come before you at wonderbly.com
We want to hire someone who is inspired by this foundation and is ready to take the design of our future products to an even higher standard.
- Demonstrable experience of commercial book design. You’ve designed highly visual books, ideally children’s books, and maybe other graphic products at scale for a large publisher or brand - ideally several.
- Keen eye for graphic design details. You are still a hands on designer, not afraid to layout a cover and mock up book layouts yourself. You can communicate the why behind your work quickly and effectively. Your aesthetic interests are broadly aligned with the existing Wonderbly brand.
- Broad interest in creativity and product design. We use a studio based publishing model, whereby we collaborate and work together to design books across our company - you enjoy working in this way and can show us examples of how your design practice and interests expand beyond book design.
- Experience helping others design. You have either led a team or helped coach other creatives to get the best from their own work. You can show examples of this and how your support varies from creative to creative.
- Experience finding and managing illustrators. You have worked with a wide range of illustrators in your work designing books and can provide examples of projects where you’ve taken an illustrator on an end to end journey from sourcing to successful publication.
If this is you, we’d love to hear from you. Please send a visual portfolio of work to us and a covering letter explaining why you want to work at Wonderbly. Please note, we will not offer interviews without a portfolio in advance. IMPORTANT: When applying, reference We the Makers jobs to be considered.